BB4ER Awarded its First Grant by UnLtd

Later News Earlier News

Posted by GregChapman GregChapman
UnLtd LogoFollowing the announcement from Vattenfall further encouraging news was received at the end of April. The Foundation for Social Entrepreneurs, known as UnLtd, a charity set up in 2002, has awarded BB4ER a grant of £4,995.

The grant will cover the cost of establishing the planned Community Benefit Society, production of information leaflets and equipment and materials needed to help improve the effectiveness of our presentations to public meetings in neighbouring parishes and elsewhere.

Lesley MarsdenUnLtd describe their role saying "Our job is to reach out and unleash the energies of people who can transform the world in which they live. We call these people social entrepreneurs. Social entrepreneurs seek to solve social problems through entrepreneurial solutions. We help social entrepreneurs at the early stages of their journey".

BB4ER's plan to involve local people in building a future-proof Internet connection meets UnLtd's aims which include improving community spirit, closing the attainment gap in education, solving health issues and reducing isolation amongst elderly.

Lesley Marsden (pictured), who drafted the grant application says, "This is an important milestone for us. Following on from Vattenfall's announcement that they are working with us to look at our project proposals, the grant from UnLtd, a London based charity, is tangible proof that there is recognition that rural areas are being left isolated as broadband becomes an essential requirement for everyday life".

She adds, "It's not just the cash that UnLtd will be giving. The grant includes both the money, which will be paid in stages, and range of advice and support from a number of experts. This will help us demonstrate to potential investors that our business plan is viable and assist with any further grant applications that we might make."